Share This Article
Creativity, vision, and imagination are the traits of almost all fashion professionals. But why is it that only a handful of them make it to the top? Are there any hidden secrets to success in the volatile fashion business?
The allure and glamour of the fashion industry attract many people. But turning passion into a successful business or profession is not a cakewalk. After all, fashion is one of the most competitive arenas in the world to break into.
Industry connections, hard work, and resilience are of course crucial to excelling in this sector. What else should a professional have to carve a niche in this challenging domain? Let us check out everything in this blog post.
Endless meetings, draping sessions, client briefing, and tight deadlines, keep the fashion professionals on their toes 24*7. The only way to manage all these things is by getting organised.
This characteristic will help them in streamlining their projects. It will also make them come out as a trustworthy name in the industry. It is one of the most effective ways to stay on top of the competition. Here are some tips to get organised in business:
- Prioritise tasks.
- Use planners and calendars to manage meetings and events.
- Making to-do lists on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis is a great way to systematise things.
- Delegation of lesser important tasks to subordinates will allow time for core business functions.
Impressive Communication Skills
The fashion industry is a people-centric business. Professionals here deal and work with people from all walks of life. It calls for outstanding communication skills. Please understand that communication skill here is beyond speaking and writing.
It is more about acknowledging ideas, putting across your point of view, and understanding the client’s requirements. Here are tips that fashion professionals can use to refine their communication skills:
- Listening more and speaking less is the key to success here.
- Having professional body language will help in impressing the clients and customers.
- Speaking with clarity and conciseness will make one come out as a thorough professional.
- Fashion professionals must exude confidence in whatever they say and do. It shows their resilience and belief in themselves.
- Remember, a good communicator always enters into a conversation with open-mindedness.
- Some simple gestures like eye contact and firmer handshakes create a long-lasting impression in the minds of the people.
Expand Your Horizons
How do some fashion professionals manage to stay at the top of the game all the time? They do it by expanding their horizons. You see, 21st-century fashion professionals need to think beyond apparel and designing.
Relying on academic degrees for the rest of their lives will take them to a dead end. Making efforts to update knowledge and learn new skills will help them dodge the competitors and reach the zenith of success. But how should they go about it?
- Identify a genre that is trending and has a bright scope in the coming times.
- Enrol in advanced courses that will enhance their knowledge and skills.
- Keep an eye on the latest trends and take inspiration from them.
- Learn new skills that will benefit their fashion career in the long run.
Understand the Business
Creativity is crucial to succeeding in the fashion industry. But professionals need to have a good hold on its business practices as well. Here are some essential factors of the fashion industry that every professional should know:
- Nuances of contract and agreement negotiating.
- Corporate ethics and standards.
- Communicating with suppliers and buyers.
- The latest cutting-edge business techniques and cash flows.
- Steps to pick a business partner or brand association.
- What are current market dynamics and their impact on the fashion business?
- Basics of business management and economics.
- Licensing and advertising strategies.
Be Patient and Do Not Quit
Please understand that growing a career in the fashion industry is not going to be a cakewalk. Hectic work schedules, fierce competition, and extensive traveling are all a part and parcel of this industry. Things take a significant amount of time to settle here.
Professionals who keep their calm during this process have higher chances of succeeding in this industry. After all, hard work and commitment always pay off in the end. Here are some tips for fashion professionals to stay calm and composed throughout their journey:
- Read more often, especially, about mental health and stress management.
- Keeping loved ones closer also helps in building inner strength to go on.
- Keep a close watch on the market dynamics and strategize accordingly. It will prevent sudden and unexpected pressure build-ups.
- Have a couple of experienced professionals closer to look upon during the time of crisis.
Creativity when combined with technical know-how makes for a successful fashion professional. Employers prefer to hire professionals who have an outstanding technical knowledge of their genre.
For instance, a textile designer should have an understanding of the quality of fabrics, yarns, and weavings. Similarly, a pattern maker should know computer-assisted drafting, fittings, and production follow-up. Here is a list of technicalities that every fashion professional must have:
- Artistic ability and creativity
- Drawing and sewing skills
- Excellent understanding of fabrics and spins along with their designing and printing techniques
- Knowledge of cloth and colour combinations
Fashion is a highly demanding industry. Here, trends and dynamics change overnight. Moreover, professionals need to juggle from one point to another to ensure the best products and client satisfaction. Experts say that those who want to stay at the top of the game must have brilliant time management skills. It will help in:
- Delivering projects on time
- Providing a better quality of work
- Reducing procrastination
- Designing a progressive career graph
- Boosting productivity and efficiency
- Allows more time to focus on core business activities
Build a Robust Network
Networking is crucial for taking a lead in almost all industries. But it becomes a life and death scenario when it comes to the fashion business. The ultimate goal of every fashion professional is to stand out in the crowd.
And a robust network can help them in reaching the right place at the right time. It gives access to opportunities that they might not reach themselves. It also helps in improving skillset and staying abreast with the latest developments. Here are two simple tips for networking in the fashion business.
- Attending fashion events and career fairs is a great way to build a strong business network.
- Connect with the top decision-makers of the companies. It will give an upper hand during the interview process.
That’s A Wrap!
People who have a burning desire to make a mark in the fashion business, have higher chances of giving life to their dreams. A zeal to succeed and a passion for fashion are the most essential to stand out in the competition. What about the professionals who already have the ambition and thirst to excel in spades? They need to keep reminding themselves of their love for this profession and industry. Professionals who are into supplier handling should turn to Fashinza for all their supplier-related issues. It is a new generation supply chain and product development platform that works towards creating futuristic and sustainable supply chains for the top fashion brands. Connect with them today for more details.