Everything You Need to Know About: Sun Protective Plus Size Women’s Clothing
Summary: There is a dearth of plus-size sun protection clothing for women in the fashion market. While UV protection clothing is still a fairly new concept, it has very few options for plus-size customers. In this blog, we will explore the whats, hows, and whys of adding a plus-size UPF clothing line to your label or starting a brand that solely focuses on it.
What is Sun-protective Clothing?
Sun-protective clothing is any item of clothing that is specially designed for sun protection and is created from a material that is rated for its level of ultraviolet (UV) protection. This rating of UV-safe clothing is called UPF. This UV-protective fabric has a novel stitch pattern and thread count to make it eligible to be categorized as sun protective.
Difference Between UPF vs SPF
UPF, also known as Ultraviolet Protection Factor, is a unit to measure the amount of UV radiation that can infiltrate clothing and reach your skin. On the other hand, the Sun Protection Factor, or SPF, is a unit to measure the time it takes for sun-exposed skin to burn. For instance, if someone sunburns after 20 minutes of exposure, any sunscreen with a rating of SPF 15 will protect the skin for 15 times longer. Another important difference between the two is that SPF measures only UVB radiation, while UPF measures both UVB and UVA rays.
Why is it Necessary to Add Plus-size Sun-protective Clothing to your Fashion Brand?
For anyone who loves being outdoors doing activities they enjoy means being exposed to the sun for a longer duration. The sun’s damaging UV rays could cause severe sunburn, skin cancer, and early skin aging. Photosensitive individuals can especially face serious issues if they are in the sun for a long time. UPF clothing or UV protection clothing can help reduce the risks associated with extended periods of sun exposure. While sunscreens are always the best choice for sun protection, they are rarely reapplied. This is why wearing sun-protective clothing can be the first line of defense against UV radiation. Using UPF clothing is an effective way of getting daily sun protection, especially when outdoors.
While there are a few popular brands like Coolibar and Patagonia that offer plus-size sun-protective clothing, there is still a huge gap in the market for this category. Adding a plus-size UPF clothing line to your label or starting a brand that specializes in plus-size sun protection clothing is sure to take off, all thanks to the increasing demand among fashion consumers who shop for sports and outdoor wear.
Trending Curve Styles in UPF Clothing for Women
UPF clothing tends to cover all exposed areas of the body for maximum sun protection. Here is some trending plus-size UV clothing for women that can be included in your brand’s collection:
- Sun Shirts for Women: These trending shirt styles are usually made of a soft, smooth polyester or elastane blend and have full sleeves for maximum sun protection. They are popular in simple solid patterns and darker or brighter colors. While these sun shirts have a basic style, there is surely room for improvement when it comes to making them fashionable too.
- UV Swimwear: Apart from being UV protective, plus-size UPF swimwear is also created to be chlorine-resistant to protect the skin while swimming in pools. Adding UV swimwear for women to your brand’s clothing line is a great way to offer consumers protection during outdoor activities like surfing, swimming, or any other water sports.
- UPF Sundress: A sundress with UV protection is a preferred option among all outdoorsy women who like basking in the sun without particularly doing any sporting activities. Plus-size sun-protective dresses are usually created in bright colors and pretty prints so that they can be worn for most daytime events, including brunches by the pool or long walks on the beach.
Make it Big and Outdoorsy
UPF women’s apparel led the sun protection clothing market in 2021, contributing 45.2% of the revenue percentage.  Dresses, T-shirts, tops, tunics, skirts, beachwear, and swimsuits are a few apparel categories that are sold the most in the UV protection apparel market. Creating more brands and collections focusing on plus-size women’s UPF apparel is a sure-shot way to take your brand name to the next level, especially if you already specialize in outdoor wear.
- The UPF sun protective clothing market size in the USA was valued at USD 635.8 million in 2021. This market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 8.2% between 2022 and 2030.  The consumer demand for plus-size sun-protective clothing is expected to be driven by the growing awareness of the UV resistance that UPF clothing offers.
- Market leaders in this segment are manufacturing fashion apparel by implementing state-of-the-art technologies and using a comprehensive range of novel fabrics. The competitive nature of the UPF clothing segment makes it an ideal sector to invest in.
Connect with Fashiza if you want to add a plus-size UPF clothing line to your brand’s collection. We can help you connect with the right manufacturers and suppliers who will provide you with the best quality materials and technology for all your needs.
Let Fashinza execute your label’s production needs so that you have a hassle-free experience.