Share This Article
Fashion is never better defined than at the Paris Fashion Week, and this year was no different. The air was rife with anticipation as the Paris Fashion Week was set to kick off on Sept 27, 2021, with some of the hottest trends ruling the runway. Designers, models, editors, and other fashion personalities took the mantle to keep the city abuzz for the week. The entire lineup for the grand event was nothing short of visual ecstasy. The designers staged their collections and locked in some of the best looks for the season, with the audience giving it a big thumbs up.
Let’s jump right in to see what was hot at the grand fashion festival.
15 Iconic Moments from the Paris Fashion Week
- Keeping up with Paris’s reputation as the city of romance, the Paris Fashion Week took off with Saint Laurent hosting their live show at Trocadero, set against the backdrop of a shimmering Eiffel Tower. This stood as a symbol for reclaiming their glory that had earlier been reduced to a virtual setup due to the covid 19 crisis.
- Houses like Dior, Chanel, Hermes, Valentino, Balenciaga, and Louis Vuitton were among the brands returning to the physical runways while others hosted digital shows. This comeback, after the pandemic had forced a change of plans, was enough to pack a high voltage jolt of excitement.
- The Balmain show, celebrating the 10th anniversary of designer Olivier Rousteing was the major highlight of the Paris Fashion Week. It was an opulence of fashion with a posse of supermodels walking the ramp, adding all the blitz to this star-studded affair. Artists Franz Ferdinand and Doja Cat opened for the show. Big names including Carla Bruni, Imaan Hammam, Naomi Campbell, Adut Akech, Natalia Vodianova, Edie Campbell, and Lara Stone walked the ramp.
- Olivier Rousteing’s signature designs, donned by the superstars as they glided down the runway, had an eye-catching collection of jackets spangled with embellishments, cut-out dresses, and jewel-encrusted shorts.
- A voice-over by Beyoncé for the Balmain show was another highlight during the event. The audio tribute to Rousteing, celebrating his spirit in fashion and praising the designer and brand he led, calling Balmain an ‘amazing tool for beauty and change’ under the famed designer’s guidance.
- Givenchy presented an effortlessly chic collection under creative director Matthew M. William. Williams had worked to create futuristic, cutting-edge kicks that were seen on the runway in what was their first-ever appearance.
- Loewe made a splash on the physical runway with designer Jonathan Anderson making his genius shine through his delicately crafted designs. The designer has been credited with an out-of-the-box, unorthodox approach to his creative process and execution. He showcased his collection through newspapers and even literal boxes, and now he sets the runway with models ascending on the catwalk through stairs that lead to a strip-like opening on the stage. We were enthralled by the inventive designs that looked lovely in movement.
- K-pop idols and members of the girl band Blackpink took the fashion week by storm. Members Rose, Jisoo, Lisa, and Jennie are the global ambassadors for the fashion giants Saint Laurent, Dior, Celine, and Chanel, respectively. They incited large crowds at the event and added a punch of star power.
- Balenciaga had already ruled the 2021 Met Gala scene with the black head-to-toe covering dress donned by Kim Kardashian. At Le Théâtre du Châtelet, Balenciaga took the plunge and rewrote the concept of the runway and red carpet, mashing them into one.
- Designer Demna Gvasalia created a faux fashion runway with a hint at the saturated fantasy of a futuristic design. Outside of the theatre, the setup for the Balenciaga show had walls and floors run into each other, with red painting the whole scene. The paparazzi had their cameras go off to capture a cast of characters who were arriving at the collection itself. The models posed as celebrities on the runway, and the entire stage, a performance extraordinaire, was a head-turning event.
- Ann Demeulemeester honored the black and white code as the Belgian fashion house showcased “modernity in the pureness of tailoring.”
- Givenchy racked up the interest of millions with its offbeat collection. The gowns had an ingenious touch with mist-like veils at the bottom, and some had expressionist streaks with paillettes lining the fabric. The accessories had jack-o-lanterns as purses to give a nod to the spooky Halloween vibe at hand.
- Rita Ora performed at the event and looked every bit as expensive in her custom-made outfits, complete with glamorous and glitzy jewels. Her concert was live from the Eiffel Tower, where the singer performed her chart-topping numbers.
- Accentuated cheekbones, sopping bangs, and over-extended eyeliners were some of the iconic looks sported by models at the Balenciaga show. The looks of the event can mark a shift on the red carpet, with celebrities swapping their usual style for the experimental new hair and makeup aesthetic.
15. Street fashion was a defining moment of the Paris Fashion Week, with Rick Ovens single-handedly taking the mantle to reimagine street fashion. A gothic twist to streetwear dominated the conceptual trend this year.
The comeback to physical runways after Paris Fashion Week’s hiatus drew the attention of many, as people flocked the venue to see the fashion extravaganza. The event roared all the way from its glamorous runways to events. Paris Fashion Week lived up to the buzz around its name and served us some of the best looks for 2022.